Saturday, March 12, 2011

I am an Atheist

Hence are we called atheists. And we confess that we are atheists, so far as gods of this sort are concerned, but not with respect to the most true God, the Father of righteousness and temperance and the other virtues, who is free from all impurity. But both Him, and the Son (who came forth from Him and taught us these things, and the host of the other good angels who follow and are made like to Him), and the prophetic Spirit, we worship and adore, knowing them in reason and truth, and declaring without grudging to every one who wishes to learn, as we have been taught. ~ Justin Martyr


I love this early quote from Justin Martyr. I love the simple description of our faith. I feel like this is a pure heart statement because it is not wrapped up in centuries of theological thought. It is a simple out pouring from a man who has had a real encounter with Christ and this is what he knows. Lord keep me from being bogged down by terms, issues, and debates. I pray that I would concentrate on just knowing you.

No comments: