Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Keep Me

Doxology

24 Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, 25 to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.


When I was in college I got to lead a high school Bible study at my church. I remember I was challenged by someone with this stirring question: "How do you know that once you are saved you are always saved?"

To be honest that question has never left me. It is a great question that determines so much of how you live your life. If you believe that you are always in a mode of questioning God's love for you then our faith become a scary work. You will always be wondering, much like John Wesley, if you are truly going to be with Jesus forever?

The other side are those who take advantage of the answer. "Of Course they say, Jesus doesn't want anything from us." This is a gross lie. It fails to recognize the change of heart we are to experience as lovers of Jesus. This is what was so frustrating for Dietrich Bonhoeffer as he watched his fellow ministers fail in WWII.

So I love this passage because it makes me want to fall in love with Jesus all over again. It moves me to action because he is so active in my life everyday. I am going to stumble and I am going to be blameworthy, but the presence of my Lord, the great joy of the universe, my savior will never let those things overtake me. He will be my victory.

No comments: