Sunday, November 16, 2008

Civil Religion



I believe the beliefs that Maria Shriver shares in this video is a great summary of a lot of people's faith. I also think this is an excellent picture of what might be called Civil Religion. It is a crossover between the values upheld in America mixed with a sense of God. There is no real limitation on what God can become except probably what is acceptable in American society.

In a very real sense we need to explore what is going to be our main proof text for truth. I think for a lot of Americans it is the Constitution of the United States and tradition. For Christian American's it is the Constitution of the United States and tradition and the Bible. I think this is why the evangelical Christian message is so difficult to get out there these days. I think this is how the cross gets lost.

No comments: