Tuesday, November 4, 2008

On Election 2008

I am so excited that today is the voting day. There has been so much build up and hype that I just am excited to see it come to its conclusion. I believe there is an importance to voting that probably only gets recognized if someone tells you that you cannot vote. The thing with Proposition 8 in California is how we lost our right to vote because the decision was made by a group of judges and not the people of California. I do not think it speaks to as what is right or wrong to vote on this issue, just that it should be left in the hands of the voters. 

When asking myself how would God want me to vote I believe this quote I read from The Prodigal God by Tim Keller is helpful. 

So whose side is Jesus on? In the Lord of the Rings, when the hobbits ask the ancient Treebeard whose side he is on, he answers: "I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side ... (But) there are some things, of course, whose side I'm altogether not on." Jesus's own answer to this question, through the parable is, is similar. 
I am proud to be a part of a church that does not get caught up in politics. We do not live in theocracy, but we are called to vote with the Lord in our heart and mind. Each of us must search inside and connect with what God would consider the best for the people that live on the planet. Not with objective of just living, but with the objective they can find true hope, peace, and reliance on Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. The answer to this in the form of politics is not always clear. 

I also like a lot of what John Piper had to say on this election as well. I know it is late, but if you have not voted I think he has lots of wisdom. 




No comments: