Sunday, November 30, 2008

Psalm 73

I have let "the prosperity of the wicked" undermine my sense that God wants me to enjoy life. I have felt the emotion of envy mentioned in Psalm 73:3 because others have prospered and I have not.

For I was envious of the arrogant
when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.


I find myself humbled by Psalm 73:13-15. In the past I have spoken when I should have been silent. I have shared when I should have listened. I have said many things in the past, from a place of hurt, that would have been better left not said. I have spent many hours searching my own pain internally meanwhile my Savior is sitting alone in my heart wanting me to be with him.

13 All in vain have I kept my heart clean
and washed my hands in innocence.
14 For all the day long I have been stricken
and rebuked every morning.
15 If I had said, “I will speak thus,”
I would have betrayed the generation of your children.


It is so important to not let our emotions like envy, exhaustion, regret, and disgust overcome us. Instead the Psalmist is saying we need to renew our hope in the glory of the Lord.

We also have the added benefit of Christ who relieves our suffering and brings a greater sense of fulfillment to it. So let us remember to careful choose our words and be wise in how we speak them to others. Our hope is in Jesus fulfilling his promise not prosperity in this lifetime.

No comments: